New trainee or regular registration applicants must meet one of the following four (4) criteria sets to obtain a REHS Trainee Certificate or prior to sitting for the examination and obtaining a full REHS Registration Certificate:
- Possess a baccalaureate or higher degree in Environmental Health or Environmental Health Science from an institution of higher education with an accredited school of environmental health approved by the Board.
(a) A baccalaureate or higher degree, and be able to prove via certified transcripts at least 30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours in core natural science credits, including but not limited to:
• Biology (Zoology, Botany, Physiology, Microbiology, Ecology, etc.);
• Physics / Physical Science;
• Chemistry / Chemical Engineering;
• Geology / Earth Science;
• Environmental Science;
• Sanitary Engineering;
• Environmental Engineering;
• Allied Health Sciences;
OR other core natural science credits, supported by catalog descriptions or syllabi, as approved by the Board.
NOTE: Math credits are considered prerequisite for core natural sciences and will not be included.
(b) Two years of qualifying work experience in environmental health.
- Possess a Masters degree in Public Health from an institution of higher education approved by the Board.
- Possess training or experience obtained during service in the military forces of this State or the United States of America which the Board determines is equivalent to at least 2 years of experience in the practice of environmental health.